Gay man beaten up by lover who was apparently straight

A gay man has spoken of his heartbreak after being brutally attacked by a lover who now claims to be straight.

Nigel Hassall, 36, said 27-year-old Gavin Murphy made him believe they were in love before he leaving him badly injured from the assault, Stoke-on-Trent Live reports.

As his attacker is jailed for 12 months and handed a 10-year restraining order, Hassall has opened up about the attack in which he lost his two front teeth from being kneed in the face. He was also punched and bitten.

Hassall said: “Gavin beat me up, it was like something you would see on a TV show. It will cost me thousands to repair the damage the assault did because I will have to get my teeth done – it’s horrible.

“We were in a pretend relationship together, because it turned out he was straight. He had me believe we were in a relationship but now he says he’s not gay. I suppose I will just have to move on.

“It seems like something you would make a film out of rather than the reality. When I first met him we were neighbours and he was with a lady at the time. We then fell in love, but that turned out to be just a lie.”

Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court heard that Murphy was due to stay with Hassall for a few days in March, but when he arrived decided to leave after 15 minutes, and when he did Hassall thought he had mistakenly taken his phone.

The attack occurred after the victim mistakenly thought Murphy had taken his phone

Prosecutor Howard Searle said: “The defendant said he was leaving at 5.30pm. The man thought the defendant may have picked up his phone by mistake. He followed him and asked for the phone to be returned.

“Murphy pushed him to the chest causing him to stagger backwards. He kneed him to the head and knocked out two front teeth – a crown and denture. He pushed him to the ground, got on top, and punched him several times to the head. He bit him on the inside of his left forearm leaving a bite mark.”

Murphy pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Murphy was sentenced to 12 months in prison and given a 10-year restraining order

The court heard that the pair had a violent history between them, and in 2016 Hassall had attacked Murphy.

Steve Hennessey, mitigating, said: “The defendant was chased down the street by his victim who challenged him about taking a mobile phone. He was attempting to make distance between the two of them.”

Upon sentencing Judge David Fletcher said: “There was an argument at the victim’s home address that resulted in you leaving. You pushed him to the chest, grabbed his head, kneed his head knocking out two teeth, and pushed him to the ground. While on top of him you punched him to the head and bit him.”