Britney Spears finally gets a win in court amid bitter conservatorship battle with father Jamie

Britney Spears

Britney Spears has won a small victory in her conservatorship battle with her father Jamie after a court granted her request to expand her legal team.

Spears, who is currently embroiled in a court battle with her father to win control over her own life and finances, was handed the victory in court on Wednesday (14 October).

The hearing was attended by Britney’s parents, Jamie and Lynne Spears, and her attorney Samuel Ingham, while Britney herself did not attend, ET Online reports.

The singer had requested that she be allowed to expand her legal team in her bid to have her father removed from her 12-year long legal conservatorship – but Jamie Spears filed paperwork arguing against the request, saying it would cost too much money.

But Ingham, Britney’s attorney, accused Jamie Spears of trying to “filibuster the appointment of a corporate fiduciary indefinitely or to dominate the entire process himself”.

“The only way to assure that Britney’s voice is heard will be for her to have qualified litigation counsel available in order to place her on a level playing field with James,” he argued.

Britney Spears wants to ‘live life on her own terms’ and see more of her two sons.

In a recent court appearance (7 October), Britney’s attorney said she has as much agency as a “coma patient” under the terms of her conservatorship, which has granted her father almost total control over her finances and life decisions for more than a decade.

A source close to the star told US Weekly in September that the singer is fighting for greater control over her own life so she can “live life on her own terms” and see more of her two sons.

Britney reportedly has 30 per cent custody of her two children, Sean and Jayden, while they spend the other 70 per cent of their time with their father Kevin Federline

“Britney wants to live her life on her terms and is very displeased with the current custody arrangement,” the source said.

“She needs to see the boys much more than she currently is.”

The “Toxic” singer was first placed under the conservatorship of her father Jamie after she experienced a mental health crisis in 2008.

The arrangement, typically used for the old, infirm or disabled, has been scrutinised by disability rights lawyers as one that erodes agency.

Those with detailed knowledge of the case have stressed that conservatorships greatly limits what say the person under the arrangement has on who their guardians are.

Through her legal counsel, Britney has said she is “strongly opposed” to her father being re-installed as a her conservator after he briefly stepped down due to health reasons in 2019.

Instead, in a devastating blow, the courts moved to extend her guardianship through February 1, 2021.