This guy thought the coronavirus crisis was the perfect time to be homophobic in a Morrisons supermarket

Guy thinks a pandemic is the perfect time to be homophobic in Morrisons

One man picked the coronavirus pandemic, when thousands of people are dying every day, as the perfect time to be homophobic to a Morrisons supermarket security guard.

Police in York are appealing for witnesses and information after the suspected hate crime incident at a Morrisons in Foss Islands Retail Park.

According to North Yorkshire Police, the unnamed man got into an altercation with the security guard and frontline worker in the car park outside the entrance at about 11.25am on Monday, April 6.

The man refused to leave the supermarket and began hurling homophobic insults at the security guard.

While many of us are able to work from home during the coronavirus lockdown, for supermarket staff, including security, this isn’t an option despite the risk of infection.

One supermarket worker recently told the BBC that her job had become “horrible and overwhelming” as people continue to panic buy.

She added: “People have been yelling at me, asking why [handwash] is not there when we run out… In an ideal world, supermarkets would close too, but I know that’s not possible right now.

“People need supplies – they’re looking for hygiene products and food – so we have to do what we can. If we don’t, it’ll just be more anger and panic.”

According to York Mix, a North Yorkshire Police spokesperson said: “We are requesting the public’s assistance to help establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.

“In particular, we are appealing for any person who may have witnessed this incident or heard anything.”

Those with any information about the incident at Morrison’s are encouraged to contact North Yorkshire Police, or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Last week, a man in Cambridge was jailed after attacking his wife in self-isolation and hurling a homophobic slur at police while threatening them with a concrete block.

Mark Palmer, 55, admitted charges which included common assault at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court on Friday, April 3, and was sentenced 42 weeks in prison.