Extraordinary footage shows armed police surround car in Birmingham Gay Village

Birmingham Gay Village

A convoy of six police vehicles with armed officers were seen surrounding a car in Birmingham’s Gay Village on Sunday, arresting three people.

The vehicle was stopped in the early hours of Sunday morning (22 August) on Hurst Street at around 4.20am, Birmingham Mail reports.

Footage taken at the scene shows at least six police vehicles surrounding a black car. A separate video shows three people on the ground with officers handcuffing them. Another individual is led away as officers with guns watch on.

In more footage police dogs can also be seen standing guard around the car with police officers, and a police van is parked close by.

A spokesperson for West Midlands Police told PinkNews that officers were responding to reports of a stabbing.

“It is understood a fight broke out on Hurst Street and a man was chased by a group onto Thorp Street, then Bristol Street where it is alleged he was stabbed near the underpass,” they said.

“The group left in a vehicle and following reports that one of the offenders was carrying a gun, we sent an armed response vehicle to carry out an enforced stop on Bromsgrove Street. Several people were detained at the scene and searched, however no gun was found.

“No victim has been identified yet for the stabbing, but we are still carrying out enquiries and reviewing CCTV to establish the full circumstances.”

Any witnesses or anyone with further information is asked to contact us via Live Chat quoting log 532 of 22 August.

Search continues for two men in ‘brutal’ Birmingham Gay Village attack

The incident is believed to be unrelated to last week’s homophobic attack on a gay couple in Birmingham’s Gay Village.

The couple were beaten with glass bottles by four men in an SUV, while a female friend was dragged along the road by the moving vehicle. All three victims were left needing hospital treatment.

Yesterday police issued an appeal for three men they wanted to speak to in connection with the attack. A 31-year-old man handed himself in to a police station the same day, but a search continues for the two other suspects, Sohail Khan, 24, and Ishaaq Ayaz, 21.

“We have already completed a number of arrest attempts for the men; I would encourage them to hand themselves in and speak to us,” sergeant Marc Petford said in a statement.

“This was a shocking homophobic attack on two men enjoying a night out in our city. It’s outrageous and we’re determined to bring to justice the people responsible.”

Anybody with information on the men’s whereabouts is being urged to call 101 or to contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.