Homophobe gets more than he bargained after attacking couple

PinkNews logo on pink background with rainbow corners.

The couple were enjoying a quiet lunch on Sunday when they were set upon by the man in the up scale neighbourhood of Soho.

Larry and Daniel Lennox-Choate – who were one of the first couples to marry in Manhattan – claim an unidentified man, aged around 40-years old, “screamed anti-gay obscenities” before punching Daniel in the face, New York Daily News reports.

“It’s hard to believe that in 2015 we would have to deal with anti-gay hate crimes in soho of all places but that’s what happened today,” Larry wrote on Facebook.

However, according to Larry, the assailant picked on the wrong couple, and got more than he bargained for after the pair retaliated.

“The guy who screamed anti-gay obscenities at us in a bodega before sucker-punching Danny?

“He left covered in his own blood with his tail between his legs after I handled the situation and tossed him in the street like the coward loser he is.”

Larry said that he and Daniel – who were married in 2013 – escaped from the scuffle relatively unscathed.

“Aside from one fat lip and a sore punching arm, we are fine,” the couple notes.

“The hate crimes division of the NYPD is on the case and we have full faith a positive outcome will follow,” Larry adds.

“We refuse to be victims and are thankful we can defend ourselves, but are saddened by the fact that idiots like this guy might not pick two guys who went through Plebe Boxing next time.”

Police say they are investigating the attack, but that no “arrests have been made and the investigation is ongoing, police said.”

According the NYPD, homophobic attacks in the city have fallen by 20% this year. There have been 43 incidents this year, compared to 54 for the same period last year.

Last week, a gay man from Staten Island said he is suing the NYPD over a violent beating after he was dragged out of his home.

Louis Falcone said officers from the NYPD officers dragged him from his home and violently attacked him on 19 June, after they arrived to investigate a noise complaint.