Driver, who ran over man after homophobic abuse in Manchester’s Gay Village, is jailed

A man, who was kicked and subjected to an anti-gay slur, has been jailed for 12 years for running over the man he had been arguing with in Manchester’s Gay Village.

Aaron McDonald, 31, had rowed with another man in Bloom Street, during which he was kicked and called a “f****t boy,” reports Manchester Evening News.

The court heart how McDonald had then walked away, before getting into his Vauxhall Corsa, which was parked nearby.

He then drove his car at a group of pedestrians, including the man he had argued with.

The 31-year old continued driving, even after the man was thrown onto his bonnet.

McDonald was jailed at Manchester Crown Court. (Wikimedia Commons)

McDonald then braked – meaning that the man was forced off his car bonnet – before driving over him.

According to Greater Manchester Police, a woman was also injured during the event.

McDonald then left the scene in his car, and parked on Oxford Road, before walking home, where he drank more wine until he fell asleep on the sofa.

Police officers later arrested him, with McDonald admitting: “I was driving the car, I was waiting for yous to turn up, I know what I’ve done it’s my mistake [sic].”

The incident took place in Manchester’s Gay Village. (Tecmark)

In an interview with police, McDonald said he hadn’t planned to run over anyone and had intended to report what had happened to police.

Detective Constable Matt Cooper, of Greater Manchester Poice’s City of Manchester Division, said: “McDonald’s decision to get in his car despite having been out drinking put the lives of not only the people he targeted in danger, but everyone walking on that street that morning.

“Getting into a car under the influence of alcohol and with the intention of using it as a weapon is completely unacceptable and he is lucky that he didn’t kill the man he drove into.

“He will now have to spend the next 12 years living with the consequences of his actions.”

McDonald was found guilty of section 18 assault at Manchester Crown Court on Friday July 6.