Tory candidate already under investigation for antisemitism in fresh homophobia and Islamophobia row
A Conservative election candidate already under fire for alleged antisemitism is being investigated after sharing a homophobic, transphobic and Islamophobic blog post on Facebook.
Sally-Ann Hart, the Tory candidate for Hastings and Rye, is facing fresh allegations of discrimination after reports emerged that she shared a hate-filled blog post to Facebook in 2017.
The article, by anti-Islam activist and author Cheri Berens, claimed that the Women’s March movement had been used to promote a “Muslim agenda” in the US.
“[The Muslim Brotherhood] want American women to have abortions,” Berens wrote
“They want the non-Muslim population to be stagnant while their Muslim population grows. Numbers mean power.
“They want a young male population that is weakened or with confused female tendencies, whether real or imagined, or transgendered.
“They want to oppress the women and weaken the men. And the rest of America? They are controlling you via the media.”
Hart reportedly described the blog as an “affecting read” as she posted it to her Facebook wall.
Tories face calls to suspend Sally-Ann Hart.
Labour has called for the Conservatives to suspend Hart, who is already the subject of an antisemitism investigation.
The Guardian reported on Saturday, December 7, that she had shared a video implying that George Soros, a Jewish billionaire, controlled the EU.
It added that she had liked a comment underneath the video which used a Nazi slogan.
This disgusting Islamophobia and homophobia have no place in our society
Labour’s shadow equalities minister Naz Shah said: “This disgusting Islamophobia and homophobia have no place in our society. And no one who spreads these vile far-right conspiracy theories is fit to be an MP.”
“Boris Johnson has claimed that Conservative members who do this sort of thing are ‘out first bounce’. So it defies belief that Sally-Ann Hart was selected as a candidate in the first place, and it is shameful that Boris Johnson is now failing to take action.”
A Conservative spokesperson said: “Sally Ann Hart is under investigation and these comments will form part of that investigation.
“Our complaints process is rightly a confidential one but there are a wide range of sanctions to challenge and change behaviour, including conditions to undertake training, periods of suspension and expulsion, and these are applied on a case-by-case basis.”
PinkNews has contacted Hart for further comment.
Tory candidate said people with learning difficulties ‘don’t understand money’.
Hart was selected by the Conservatives to run in Hastings and Rye, a Labour-Tory marginal which was until recently Amber Rudd’s seat.
A week before the election, on Thursday, December 5, she was heckled at a constituency hustings after being challenged over another article she’d shared to Facebook about disabled rights.
The article, reportedly by businesswoman Rosa Monckton, argued that “people with learning difficulties should be allowed to work for less than the minimum wage.
Hart explained at the event: “It was about people with learning difficulties, about them being given the opportunity to work because it’s to do with the happiness they have about working.
“Some people with learning difficulties they don’t understand about money.”
MyPinkNews members are invited to comment on articles to discuss the content we publish, or debate issues more generally. Please familiarise yourself with our community guidelines to ensure that our community remains a safe and inclusive space for all.