Legal challenges to North Carolina’s anti-trans HB2 get November court date
Two lawsuits challenging North Carolina’s anti-LGBT HB2 law will go to court in November, a federal court has said.
An order from earlier this week by a federal magistrate judge said the trial over HB2 will begin on 14 November.
According to the order the judge overseeing the case, US District Judge Thomas Schroeder, will decide then whether two lawsuits should be tried jointly.
HB2 requires transgender people to use the bathroom aligned with their sex at birth, meaning many cannot use a gender-appropriate public bathroom.
It also rolled back local ordinances such as one in the city of Charlotte, which protected trans students against discrimination and allowed them to use gender-appropriate facilities.
It was thought that HB2 would be repealed or revised in North Carolina, but lawmakers in the state last month adjourned, leaving the law barely changed.
The NBA last week opted to move its 2017 All Star game from Charlotte, and boss Adam Silver said it was a “business decision”.
Previously tweeting, the NBA said it was “deeply concerned that this discriminatory law runs counter to our guiding principals of equality and mutual respect and do not know what impact it will have on our ability to successfully host the 2017 All-Star game in Charlotte.”
“It would be easy to say we’re moving it,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver clarified on Friday.
“We feel there’s a constructive role for the league to play. If we announce we’re moving it now, what’s the incentive to change the law?”
Hundreds of business leaders have urged the repeal of North Carolina’s HB2, and multiple celebrities have pulled out of appearances, including Ringo Starr and, Bruce Springsteen.
Springsteen was even accused of using “bully tactics” for cancelling the concert by one of the state’s Representatives.
But dozens of celebrities and hundreds of fans came to the defence of Springsteen, commending him for taking a stand.
Others such as Mumford and Sons and Cyndi Lauper have said they will appear but that they will donate their profits to LGBT rights organisations.
Mississippi also faces similar threats as Bryan Adams and Sharon Stone have pulled out of appearances there.
MyPinkNews members are invited to comment on articles to discuss the content we publish, or debate issues more generally. Please familiarise yourself with our community guidelines to ensure that our community remains a safe and inclusive space for all.
Report this comment
Please let us know why you would like to report this comment:
The ability to comment will be removed from anyone who does not follow our Terms & Conditions