Ex-marine who was released from custody after stabbing gay man to death now wanted for murder

Murder of gay barista, homophobic slurs

Police have issued a murder charge warrant for an ex-marine who stabbed a gay barista to death, despite releasing him from custody last week after he claimed he acted in self-defence.

According to the Chicago Tribunepolice said Kenneth Paterimos, 23, was involved in an argument with a 30-year-old man inside Richard’s Bar, Chicago, on Friday, February 21. The man was escorted outside by security but waited outside.

As Paterimos left the bar, around 11.20pm, the suspect allegedly yelled homophobic slurs at him before stabbing him eight times with a boxcutter.

According to a police report, he was stabbed once in his left ear, twice in his right arm, three times in the back of the head, once in the chest and once in the collarbone. The 23-year-old was taken to a nearby hospital, but was pronounced dead at 11.51pm.

The suspect was taken into police custody that night, but on Monday, February 24, he was released without charges after claiming the attack was in self-defence.

The ex-marine wanted for the murder of the young gay man is still at large.

Now, despite having already been arrested and released, a no-bail arrest warrant on murder charges was issued for 30-year-old Thomas Hugh Tansey in connection with the fatal stabbing of Paterimos.

However, Tansey has not been served the arrest warrant, and is still at large. Chicago Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi told Block Club Chicago that authorities are urging him to turn himself in.

Paterimos’ mother, Diona Bueno, said: “You were handed the man on a silver platter, literally, in every way, shape or form. Oh, God, but you did nothing.”

According to the Chicago Sun Times, court records show that Tansey is a Marine Corps veteran, and that he was convicted of battery three years ago.

Paterimos’ funeral was held over the weekend, and this week his friends and family are planning to hold a rally calling for the closure of the bar, which has made no statement on the murder.

Chicago Police told ABC 7 that the department will only be able to comment once the arrest warrant is served.