Ricky Martin denies domestic abuse after being issued restraining order

Ricky Martin performs live on stafe during the amfAR Cannes Gala 2022 at Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc on May 26, 2022 in Cap d'Antibes, France.

Ricky Martin has rubbished claimed of domestic abuse after he was issued a restraining order in Puerto Rico.

A judge issued the restraining order against the singer on Friday (1 July).

Newspaper El Vocero reported that an anonymous individual who Martin had dated for seven months made the complaint to the court, petitioning to file the order against Martin under the Domestic Abuse Prevention and Intervention Act.

The report claimed that Martin and the complainant broke up two months ago, but quoted the petitioner alleging that Martin did not accept the separation and has been seen loitering near their house several times.

The singer is reportedly not permitted to contact or call the person who filed the order, and it will be reconsidered by a judge in a hearing on an unspecified date in the future.

Ricky Martin went to Twitter on Monday (July 4) to deny the allegations against him, saying: “The protection order entered against me is based on completely false allegations, so I will respond through the judicial process with the facts and the dignity that characterise me.”

“Because it is an ongoing legal matter, I cannot make detailed statements at this time,” he continued. “I am grateful for the countless messages of solidarity, and I receive them with all my heart.”

In a statement to People, Martin’s representatives said that the allegations against him “are completely false and fabricated”, adding: “We are very confident that when the true facts come out in this matter our client Ricky Martin will be fully vindicated.”

The order, which was signed on Friday (July 1), was sent by authorities in a neighbourhood in the north coastal town of Dorado, where it’s believed the singer was residing.

According to Sky News, police spokesman Alex Valencia said that “police haven’t been able to find” Martin, noting that the petitioner did not initially contact the police, which would have involved authorities determining whether to file charges.