Muhlaysia Booker: Trans woman brutally beaten in Dallas thankful to be alive

Photo of trans woman Muhlaysia Booker, who was attacked in a viral video clip.

Muhlaysia Booker, a transgender woman who was brutally beaten in Dallas, Texas, last week has spoken publicly for the first time since the incident, thanking people for supporting her.

Booker’s attack on April 12, outside the Royal Crest apartment building, quickly went viral after footage was shared on social media.

On Saturday (April 20), Booker made a public statement, drawing attention to the disproportionate violence against trans women of colour, saying: “This time I can stand before you; whereas in other scenarios, we are at a memorial.”

Muhlaysia Booker thankful for support after brutal attack

Booker, 23, thanked the public for their support on Saturday, a week after she was beaten up.

“This has been a rough week for myself, the transgender community and also the City of Dallas,” said Booker in a public statement, as reported by CBS 11.

“I want to sincerely thank all of you guys for coming out, for support and fairness. And just as I am overwhelmed by your presence, your donation to support of my transgender family and allies who want to see justice served in this case.

I will remain strong with your support.

Due to the impending criminal investigation, I will not make any further comments today, except for gratitude.”

Edward Thomas was arrested over assault on Muhlaysia Booker. (Dallas County Jail)

Muhlaysia Booker attacker arrested

CBS 11 reports that suspect Edward Thomas, who was arrested for aggravated assault last week, claimed he was offered $200 to beat up Booker, according to an affidavit.

In the disturbing video, a large crowd can be seen gathering as Booker is repeatedly punched and kicked by several men.

At one point Booker attempts to stumble away, but is again set upon by the men, before being dragged along the ground away from the incident.

Booker, who told WFAA that her attackers used anti-LGBT slurs during the incident, was hospitalised with facial fractures and an injury to her right arm.

Dallas police are investigating the incident as a potential hate crime.